From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Centuries: 16th century - 17th century - 18th century
- The English Test Act was passed. It disallowed Catholics from holding high public office.
- France begins its expedition against Ceylon.
- March 18 - John Berkeley, 1st Baron Berkeley of Stratton sells his part of New Jersey to the Quakers.
- May 17 - Trader Louis Joliet and Jesuit missionary-explorerJacques Marquette begin exploring the Mississippi River and the Great Lakes.
- Christopher Wren knighted.
- French explorers Father Jacques Marquette and Louis Joliet reach the headwaters of Mississippi River and descend to Arkansas
- The Kabuki actor Sannjuro Ichikawa, aged 13, invents the Aragato style, which features the Superman war-god.
- Jean Lully writes his first opera, Cadmus et Hermione
- The Dutch retake New York
- William of Orange saves Amsterdam and the province of Holland from the French by opening the Sluice gates and flooding the country.
- Financier Richard Hoare founds Hoare's Bank in London.
- Mitsui family's trading and banking house is founded in Japan.
- University of Innsbruck founded
- Stalactic grotto of Antiparos (Aegean Sea) discovered.
- Archpriest Petrovich Avvakum writes his "Zhitie" (Life) as the first Russian autobiography.