From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Centuries: 17th century - 18th century - 19th century
- January 22 - Spain cedes the Falkland Islands to England.
- July 17 - Massacre at Bloody Falls: Chipewyan chief Matonabbee traveling as the guide to Samuel Hearne on his arctic overland journey, massacre a group of unsuspecting Inuit.
- September 8 - In California, Fathers Pedro Cambon and Angel Somera found Mission San Gabriel Arcangel in what is now San Gabriel, California.
- Discovery of Oxygen.
- The territory of Baden-Baden is inherited by the Margrave of Baden-Durlach, forming Baden.
- Emperor Go-Momozono ascends to the throne of Japan
Year in topic
- June 5 - Prince Ernest Augustus of Great Britain, fifth son of King George III, later King of Hanover
- August 14 - Sir Walter Scott, Scottish historical novelist and poet.
- September 5 - Archduke Charles of Austria, third son of Grand Duke Peter Leopold of Tuscany, general and statesman
- October 9 - Duke Frederick William of Brunswick
- Emperor Kokaku of Japan
Heads of states
- China - Qianlong Emperor of China, Qing Dynasty (reigned from October 18, 1735 to February 9, 1796)
- France - Louis XV King of France (1715-1774)
- Holy See - Clement XIV pope (1769-1774)
- Prussia - Frederick II King of Prussia (1740-1786)
- Spain - Charles III King of Spain (1759-1788)