From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Centuries: 18th century - 19th century - 20th century
- First running of the Two Thousand Guineas Stakes horse race in England.
- January 16 - Peninsular War: The British defeat the French at the Battle of Corunna.
- February 3 - Illinois Territory was created.
- February 11 - Robert Fulton patents the steamboat.
- February 20 - A decision by the Supreme Court of the United States states that the power of the federal government is greater than any individual state.
- March 4 - James Madison succeeds Thomas Jefferson as the President of the United States
- May - Napoleon captures Vienna, is excommunicated, imprisons pope Pius VII
- May 5 - Mary Kies is the first woman to be awarded a patent
- May 5 - The Swiss canton of Aargau denies Jews citizenship.
- May 17 - Napoleon I of France orders the annexation of the Papal States to the French empire.
- June 6 - A New Constitution for Sweden, again a Constitutional Monarchy after an unbloody revolution March 22: Charles XIII succeeds Gustav IV Adolf.
- June 7 - Shah Shuja of Afghanistan signs a treaty with the British. Only weeks later, he is succeeded by Mahmud Shah
- September 17 - Peace between Russia and Sweden in the Finnish War. The territory to become Finland is ceded to Russia by the Treaty of Fredrikshamn.
- October 11 - Along the Natchez Trace in Tennessee, explorer Meriwether Lewis dies under mysterious circumstances at an inn called Grinder's Stand.
- USS Constitution (Old Ironsides) is recommissioned as flagship of the North Atlantic Squadron.
- Louis Poinsot describes the two remaining Kepler solids.
- Lamarck publishes Philosophie Zoologique, outlining the concept of evolution.
Year in topics
- January 4 - Louis Braille, teacher, developed writing system for the blind (+ 1852).
- January 19 - Edgar Allan Poe, US writer
- February 3 - Felix Mendelssohn Bartoldy, composer (+ 1847)
- February 12 - Abraham Lincoln, US president
- February 12 - Charles Darwin, British naturalist
- March 31 - Nikolai Gogol, writer
- June 8 - Richard Wigginton Thompson, congressman
- August 6 - Alfred Lord Tennyson, British poet
- August 8 - Heinrich Abeken, German theologian
- August 27 - Hannibal Hamlin, US politician
- December 24 - Christopher Houston, American frontiersman
- William Ewart Gladstone, British liberal politician
- Hermann Gunter Grassmann, Prussian mathematician
Heads of states
- Denmark - Frederick VI King of Denmark (1808-1839), and King of Norway (1808-1814)
- France - Napoléon I Emperor of France (1804-1814)
- Ottoman Empire - Mahmud II Sultan of the Ottoman Empire (1808-1839)
- Prussia - Frederick William III King of Prussia (1797-1840)
- Spain - Joseph Bonaparte King of Spain (1808-1813)
- Russia - Alexander I Tsar of Russia (1801-1825)
- United States - Thomas Jefferson third President of the United States (1801-1809)