From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Events and Trends
- Introduction of the postage stamp. The first of them is Penny Black, issued by the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland on May 1, 1840.
- Mexican-American War (1846 - 1848) fought between Mexico and the United States of America. The later emerges victorious and gains undisputed control over Texas while annexing portions of Arizona, California and New Mexico.
- Wave of revolutions in Europe. Collectively known as the Revolution of 1848.
- Karl Marx writes The Communist Manifesto, first published on February 21, 1848.
- Emperor Ferdinand I (Austria)
- Chancellor Klemens Wenzel von Metternich (Austria)
- Emperor Franz Josef (Austria-Hungary)
- King Louis-Philippe (France)
- Pope Gregory XVI
- Pope Pius IX
- Emperor Nicholas I (Russia)
- Queen Victoria (United Kingdom)
- Prime Minister Lord Melbourne (United Kingdom)
- Prime Minister Sir Robert Peel (United Kingdom)
- Prime Minister Lord John Russell (United Kingdom)
- President Martin Van Buren (United States)
- President John Tyler (United States)
- President James Knox Polk (United States)