From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Centuries: 18th century - 19th century - 20th century
- February 21 - John J. Greenough patents the sewing machine.
- March 5 - Over 500 Mexican troops led by Rafael Vasquez invade Texas briefly occupy San Antonio and then head back to the Rio Grande. This is the first such invasion since the Texas Revolution.
- March 30 - Anesthesia is used for the first time in an operation (Dr. Crawford Long performed the operation and ether was used).
- August 9 - Webster-Ashburton Treaty is signed, establishing the United States-Canada border east of the Rocky Mountains.
- Massacre of Elphinstone's British army on the road from Kabul to Jallalabad, Afghanistan, by Mohammed Akbar, son of Dost Mohammed Khan
- August 29 - Treaty of Nanking signing ends Opium War
- British Empire annexes Hong Kong
- Pentonville Prison was built.
Year in topic
- February 4 - Arrigo Boito, poet and composer
- February 25 - Karl May, writer (d. 1912)
- May 8 - Emil Christian Hansen, fermentation physiologist
- May 13 - Arthur Sullivan, composer (d. 1900)
- May 17 - August Thyssen, industrialist (d. 1926)
- September 21 - Abd-ul-Hamid II, future Ottoman sultan
- October 14 - Joe Start, baseball player
- December 9 - Peter Kropotkin, Russian anarchist
- Anna Elizabeth Dickenson - Orator