From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Events and Trends
- Motion pictures
- Ragtime music
- Early commercial production of automobiles.
- Swedish scientist Svante Arrhenius and US geologist Thomas Crowder Chamberlain independently come to the conclusion that burning fossil fuels might cause global warming due to CO2 emissions.
- Second Boer War
- Spanish-American War
- Split in Irish nationalism over Irish leader Charles Stewart Parnell's affair with a fellow MP's wife, Kitty O'Shea.
- Accession of Tsar Nicholas II of Russia in the world's first ever filmed coronation.
- The New Imperialism
- Emperor Franz Josef (Austria-Hungary)
- Emperor Wilhelm II (Germany)
- Chancellor Leo von Caprivi (Germany)
- King Umberto I (Italy)
- Pope Leo XIII
- Emperor Alexander III (Russia)
- Emperor Nicholas II (Russia)
- Queen Victoria (United Kingdom)
- Prime Minister Lord Salisbury (United Kingdom)
- Prime Minister William Ewart Gladstone (United Kingdom)
- Prime Minister Lord Rosebery (United Kingdom)
- President Benjamin Harrison (United States)
- President Grover Cleveland (United States)
- President William McKinley (United States)