From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Centuries: 18th century - 19th century - 20th century
- January 20 - James Hogg becomes the first native Texan to be governor of that state.
- January 29 - Liliuokalani proclaimed Queen of Hawaii
- March 17 - The British steamship SS Utopia sinks off the coast of Gibraltar, killing 574.
- April 1 - The Wrigley Company is founded in Chicago, Illinois.
- May 1 - Nine killed and thirty wounded when troops fire on workers' May Day demonstration in support of eight-hour workday in Fourmies, France.
- May 20 - First public display of Thomas Alva Edison's prototype kinetoscope (shown at Edison's Laboratory for a convention of the National Federation of Women's Clubs).
- June 16 - John Abbott becomes Canada's third prime minister.
- June 21 First long-distance transmission of Alternating current by the Ames power plant near Telluride, Colorado by Lucien and Paul Nunn.
- August 27 - France and Russia conclude defensive alliance.
- October 1 - In California, Stanford University opens its doors
- December 29 - Thomas Edison patents the radio
- Winter - James Naismith invents Basketball
- January 8 - Walther Bothe, physicist, winner of the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1954 (+ 1957)
- February 9 - Ronald Colman, actor (+ 1958)
- February 11 - J W Hearne English cricket player.
- February 27 - David Sarnoff, broadcasting pioneer (+ 1971)
- March 10 - Sam Jaffe, actor (+ 1984)
- March 19 - Earl Warren, Chief Justice of the United States (+ 1974)
- March 24 - John Knittel, dramatist (+ 1970)
- March 29 - Yvan Goll, lyricist and dramatist (+ 1950)
- April 2 - Max Ernst, painter (+ 1976)
- April 13 - Nella Larsen, African-American novelist.
- April 17 - George Adamski, UFO traveler
- April 23 - Sergei Prokofiev, Soviet composer
- May 15 - Mikhail Bulgakov, writer (+ 1940)
- May 16 - Richard Tauber, tenor (+ 1948)
- May 18 - Rudolf Carnap, German philosopher (+ 1970)
- May 19 - Oswald Boelcke, World War I fighter ace (+ 1916)
- May 24 - William F. Albright, American archeologist and Biblical scholar
- June 9 - Cole Porter, American composer and songwriter
- June 20 - John A. Costello, second Taoiseach of Ireland (+ 1976)
- September 14 - William F. Friedman, cryptanalyst
- November 14 - Frederick Banting, Canadian physician, recipient of the Nobel Prize in medicine, 1923
- November 15 - Erwin Rommel, German field marshal
- December 26 - Henry Miller, writer
- January 5 - Emma Abbott, american opera singer
- January 21 - Calixa Lavallée, composer
- April 7 - P. T. Barnum, circus impresario
- July 4 - Hannibal Hamlin, US politician.
- September 15 - Ivan Goncharov, Russian author of Oblomov.
- September 28 - Herman Melville, American novelist.
- October 6 - Charles Stewart Parnell, Irish Nationalist leader.
- October 15 - Gilbert Arthur a Beckett, writer.
- November 10 - Arthur Rimbaud, poet