From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Javapedia, a project openly inspired by Wikipedia. It aims at creating an online encyclopedia covering all aspects of the Java platform. The project was launched in June 2003 during the JavaOne developer conference. It is part of java.net, a Web site promoted by Sun as the central meeting place for the Java community. Articles on Javapedia are written from a neutral point of view.
Differences from Wikipedia include:
- Other than browsing, many features are restricted to log-in users, including editing.
- Javapedia is based on the TWiki software, while Wikipedia uses a custom Wiki software available on SourceForge.
- Articles on Javapedia use CamelCase, while free links are used on Wikipedia.
- All contents of the Javapedia are licensed under the Creative Commons License (Attribution License v1.0). The text on Wikipedia is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.
- Javapedia Web site on java.net